Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sampling at NE 9B

This morning we went out to the lake NE 9B, northeast of Toolik to sample. Although I wasn't really needed in the boat, I went along for the hike. It was nice and cool this morning and about a half hour walk out to the site. I went and took pictures while they were sampling. Here are a few more flowers to add to my previous post:
This flower is known as the Frigid Shooting Star (Dodecatheon frigidum). This one is another member of my purple flower collection. I really like this one and hadn't seen this type of flower anywhere until today.

This is the Dryas flower, which is where the name for the Younger Dryas originated. Cores recording this glacial period contain abundant pollen of these flowers.

Dan and Shannon sampling out on the lake

Dan and Shannon had a little trouble with the dissolved oxygen probe while out on the water, so sampling took slightly longer than normal. I got bored and decided to do some tundra yoga!

3 comments:

  1. I love them! Though seriously...how do you take suc clear photos?

    P.S. I've extended the Empire...and discussed you on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Carezza-Bona/101138067062

    ReplyDelete
  2. The website looks great, thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete