Friday, January 15, 2010

A new sport!

My mom and I rose this morning for a quick bite before our 7:30 am pickup for our paddle board lesson. Paddle boarding is as my mom described it a cross between surfing, kyaking, and yoga. It is really quite a good work out, but very meditative at the same time. You work your abs and core muscles paddling, but balance and centering body weight is very important to stay on the board. I discovered the importance of focus when I stopped to briefly glance down at my watch and ended up in the water!

Unfortunately, after about an hour of paddle boarding I asked to go in to grab water and more sunscreen (I am still lobster colored on the backs of my legs). However, once we got in the wind started to pick up and the waves started to churn. Paddle boarding is really best on calm waters...Unless you are really good and can catch the waves!

This afternoon my mom and I went into town to get lunch and do some shopping! We stopped by a fish taco bar for lunch. It was really cute! The stools around the bar were all hanging swings. The food was quite good too. We had Wahoo fish tacos!

By this evening, my mom and I were getting a bit punchy and dropping absolutely everything...this resulted in an unfortunate mishap with one of the gifts my mom purchased for someone which involved her getting clunked on the head! We broke down in a puddle of giggles as we realized what a hopeless pair we were. She was icing her head and I was icing my sunburned legs! We really need to remember how to ask for ice in Spanish. I think that will be an important one for us.

This evening my mom and I went for a run and were honked at by several trucks, yelled at by at least 2 other men, chased by 3 dogs, and ran into 3 dead ends. We did however find a papaya farm which was pretty amazing. I need to go back tomorrow to take a picture! I always expected papaya trees to be really tall, but these were only about 6 feet tall.

Some funny/neat things:

A sign outside of a restroom for a bar in Jaco

Trails left by an unidentified beach organism on Playa Jaco. I think it is some sort of crab that lives in burrows since the trails always center around a burrow hole.

The insects here are huge! This is a giant beetle we saw while waiting for our pickup for paddle boarding this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment